Let me start off by telling you a little about my hair as I feel it’s not very helpful to give beauty product reviews without this information. After all, if your hair is the exact opposite of mine, you wouldn’t likely want to use the same products I do. I have thick, wavy, long hair. My main hair problems are oiliness and dandruff. I wash my hair everyday due to the oiliness, so need a shampoo that is mild enough for daily use, but effective enough to combat that dirty hair feeling I hate so much.
I have used Head and Shoulders Shampoo since I was in high school, which scores a 5/10 on the EWG database for chemicals potentially causing neurotoxicity and organ system toxicity. This shampoo costs $9.46 for 32.1 fluid ounces on Amazon. Pretty good deal huh? And yet, if I continue to use this product it could cause neurologic and organ system damage. Definitely not okay.
Enter my first foray into the non-toxic beauty product world: Avalon Organics Clarifying Lemon Shampoo.
I chose this shampoo after hours of internet research reading various reviews of non-toxic clarifying shampoos. Again, I needed a gentle cleanser that removes excess oil, but soothes my irritated scalp and reviews promised that this one would do the job.
Review of Avalon Organics Clarifying Shampoo
- As with all non-toxic shampoos, do not expect much lather. There is a little, but I have to work pretty hard to get it through my thick, long hair.
- The lemon smell is reminiscent of a cleaning product. Fortunately because the scent is natural, it does not last.
- My scalp is still a little itchy. I’ll update this post after a month of use to see if this issue goes away.
- This product costs $16.99 on Amazon for 2 11oz bottles. I will post an update outlining how long a bottle lasts me. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
- I get a nice, clean, just out of the shower feeling all day from this shampoo.
- It promises to bring out natural highlights in your hair and it actually delivers! I started to see honey gold highlights come out in my hair after only a week of use.
- It rinses out very easily.
- Even without using conditioner, my hair feels soft and hydrated.
- I can buy this easily on Amazon.
Overall, so far the pros outweigh the cons for me and I’ll continue to use this product (at least until it runs out). I will be updating this post once I’ve gotten through both bottles with any new or changed findings.
Have you used this product? Please comment below with your experience and any other non-toxic shampoos you’d recommend!