Sausage and pepper pasta, this will probably be by far the easiest recipe I’ll ever post. There’s really not much to it, but my husband and I love this meal and it’s still packed with flavor despite being so simple. I try not to eat a lot of gluten free pastas and breads. Let’s face it, these substitutes are not any healthier than their glutinous counterparts. All the same, now that we have a newborn, there are days when my typical rules for diet go out the window and I go in favor of the good enough meal.
Speaking of throwing diet rules out the window, I have always had a strange love of Peeps, those disgusting chemical and sugar laden puffy things you get at Easter or really any other holiday nowadays. My husband knows me well and got a pack of them for me the other week. I’m not ashamed to say that every night while I was preparing dinner I stuffed the serving size of 3 Peeps in my face and felt infinitely better for an hour or so after. There is nothing like a hit of sugar to, at least temporarily, cure the exhaustion that only comes from being a new parent. So all that to say, gluten free pasta is not really my main diet concern at this point. 😉
So without further ado here is the recipe for sausage and pepper pasta, the easiest dinner ever (besides microwave dinners I suppose). I hope you enjoy! Also, please comment below with your modifications and ideas for improving this recipe.
Sausage & Pepper Pasta (GF & DF)
1 pack of Aidell’s Cajun sausage diced into small pieces (or any other spicy sausage you prefer)
2 red, orange or yellow bell peppers thinly sliced lengthwise
1/2 onion thinly sliced lengthwise
1 jar of marinara sauce of your choice, I like this one
1 box of gluten free pasta (I prefer rotini as I feel I have the best luck with this type of gf pasta shape cooking evenly)
1/4-1/2 tsp of red pepper flakes
Salt to taste
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup of chopped walnuts
Dairy free cheddar cheese shreds (optional), I like this brand
- Bring a pot of water with salt to taste to boil and cook gluten free pasta according to the directions on the box.
- While pasta is cooking, saute the sausage and onions together until sausage is brown and the onions are translucent.
- Add in the sliced peppers, salt to taste and red pepper flakes to the sausage and onions and saute for another 2-3 minutes. You want the peppers to stay a little crunchy so don’t overcook.
- Drain the pasta and place back in the same saucepan and drizzle and toss with olive oil. Add the sausage mixture to the pasta and toss.
- Next pour the marinara sauce over the mixture and add the chopped walnuts and again toss to ensure everything is evenly coated.
- Serve with dairy free cheddar cheese sprinkled on top and enjoy!